Difficulty Level; Easy/Beginner
This is a super easy cushion to make, a great one to start off with if your learning to sew as you don’t have to worry about zippers or any other fasteners. However, you will need to buy a washable cushion pad for this one, so you can put it straight in the washing machine, without damaging it. Follow the washing instructions on your cushion. If you are making it as a gift, you might want to give the recipient separate instructions as the label will be tucked away inside the cover. This will be a great gift for a girls bedroom as a christmas, birthday gift or any other occasion you can think of. I have featured this cushion in my girls butterfly and hearts bedroom gift basket so you can give it as a gift on its own, or as part of the gift basket.
I have featured this cushion in another post, so rather than writing it again the following link will show you the tutorial; http://www.madewithlovebyyou.com/2015/11/09/made-with-love-by-you-girls-gift-ideas-cushion/ . Follow the original tutorial up until the step of sewing the sides together. Before the sides are sewn together, we will apply the heart appliqué. This tutorial will focus on making the heart;
What you will need;
- Heart templates
- Fabric for the heart
- Heat and bond double sided iron on adhesive
- wax pencil or a fabric marker
- sewing machine and matching cotton
I used the large heart from the templates below; Follow the link to download and print these hearts. I laminated mine, or you could print them on card. http://www.2020site.org/templates/Heart-Template.html
- Cut some fabric and heat and bond (separately) , just bigger than the heart.
- Peel one side of the heat and bond off and iron onto the wrong side of the fabric.
- Using the large heart template, draw around the template onto the paper side of the heat and bond.
- Cut around the heart out where you marked it.
- Peel off the the paper.
- Measure and place it on the centre of one piece of the cushion. Iron
- Now go back to the original tutorial and finish making the cushion.
If you would like to learn or brush up on basic sewing skills and techniques before you start this project go here; Sewing Techniques & Stitches to find the skill you would like to work on.
If you would like to see more easy/ beginner sewing projects go here; Easy/Beginner Projects
If you would like to see challenging/Experienced projects sewing go here; Challenging/Experienced Projects